Friday, February 17, 2012

A Moment in the Sun

I took a break from my circus series and revisited an image that I had done a sepia drawing of several years ago. This is called:"A Moment in the Sun" and is acrylic on canvas, measuring 36" x 60". I changed things up a bit, and replaced two of the figures. There is something about how the figures are arranged, the way the light hits their faces and bodies that intrigues me. This is from an old family photo from the late 1940's, an era where cameras were at waist level which gave the people in the photo an epic quality. Images had to be brightly lit, so everyone stared bravely into the sun until eyes watered. It took a few seconds to regain one's vision.

I love that suspended moment in photography where everything halts, and a scene is fabricated by the participants that may not have anything to do with what has gone on previously. It is a one second drama, frozen in time.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It was a stroke of genius to make it look like a vintage photo the way you did! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katherine. I love your drawings!

    ReplyDelete